Hi, I’m David. I help people get unstuck from the patterns of self-sabotage in their lives.
Do you know what almost everyone says to me when we first meet?
“I need someone who doesn’t just sit there and nods.”
They’re absolutely right. Just showing up and talking in therapy each week won’t make a bit of difference. What actually helps is if we are also guided, challenged, and supported in our struggles. Turning our dreams of getting better into something tangible and achievable.
“Before, I felt like a complete mess. I felt lost. Every emotion and though I had felt wrong. I felt totally lost like I was drowning. I was so uncomfortable and very unhappy. I was starting to lose myself and everyone else that I cared about. After working with David, I learned to slow down. How to be mindful and talk myself out of my spiral of endless worry and making everything negative. Being self compassionate and actually giving myself a break every now and then. Now, I’m starting to feel better. I don’t feel so completely lost or crazy. Instead I feel more normal, more at peace. I’m not totally fighting myself at every turn. I’m happy. I feel like I actually have a chance of turning things around and not making everything so stressful.”
Patient ReviewApril, 2020
Starting up a private practice as a counselor or therapist can be overwhelming, intimidating, and often…
When we are upset over something with our partner, we tend to know very clearly what…
My grandparents grew up during the Great Depression. It changed the way many people coped with life.…
This process of personal recovery is amazing to witness and I am always impressed by the motivation of my patients towards change. I come from a multi-generational family of therapists and psychologists. I have grown up in this environment all my life and “breathed the air” of psychology, so to speak. This experience has taught me that the hardest part of change for anyone is in getting to know yourself and to face the areas where we feel stuck at in life. If I can help during this process, I would be glad to be a part of this.
My goal is to help people overcome their struggles and setbacks by taking practical steps that build upon each other to provide lasting and meaningful change. By doing this, I hope to help you connect with what you may have have lost in life and in yourself.
“Before therapy, I felt a lack of control of my thoughts, feelings, emotions, and direction in life. I felt like my day-to-day was unpredictable. Now, I feel like I have strategies to deal with ups and downs and manage my way through any potential relapses.”
Patient ReviewJanuary, 2020
Working with David is NOT for you if…
- You’re looking for a “Magic Bullet” to change your life without committing to any real work on your end
- You’re not willing to invest at least 10 minutes a day on reinventing yourself using the skills and tactics learned in therapy
- You’re struggling with serious issues of safety, self-harm, or suicide
- You are overly self-medicating your emotional pain with alcohol, marijuana, or drugs, and are unwilling to change
You’re Ready for Help if…
- You’re open to being challenged to move outside of your comfort zone in order to achieve higher levels of tangible success
- You are willing to commit to making 100% of the change in yourself and not wait for others in your life to change first
- You feel like you’ve gotten as far with your struggles as you can, and are tired of just “maintaining” and keeping your head above water
- You’re ready to focus on changing your future rather than rehashing the trauma of the past
- You understand that progress will be challenging and that there will be ups and downs, but dramatic shifts in your life CAN happen by adjusting your life approach using the tactics you’ll learn
“I like the idea of a more proactive, aggressive approach to problem solving and it sounds like I can find that here.”
Patient ReviewNovember, 2019
Want to Get Unstuck?
Schedule a one-on-one session with David Lechnyr, LCSW
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the first session like?
Our first meeting is as much about you interviewing me as it is about me finding out more about you. This must be a “good fit” for both of us in order for your therapy to be effective, and to tailor treatment to your specific issues (there is no one size fits all).
Do you take insurance?
If you are located in Oregon or Arizona, I can bill your insurance for our work together (you can see a list here). Private pay is also a popular option for those not wanting to deal with a large deductible or who are interested in increased privacy and confidentiality.
How fast will I get better?
Therapy isn’t like repairing a broken radio. It’s a process. Knowing this, it’s important to also realize that just “showing up” to therapy won’t really change anything in the long run. A better question to ask yourself is how much you’re willing to work on the things we talk about in-between sessions, which usually results in a 40-60% improvement.